Saturday 29 September 2012

Photo opportunities - always have a camera with you

So often when out and about, I see something and say to myself if only I had my camera with me. Every photographer will have uttered those words at some time and probably more than once! Well from now on I will try and avoid that mistake. I will also follow the saying which states - 'the best camera, is the one you have with you'. How true is that! The next couple of images were taken on the way to somewhere else, with no intention whatsoever of releasing the shutter on the journey but on both occasions I did have a camera in the car.

The first is a shot of the late afternoon light on the South Downs in West Sussex between the villages of Amberley and Storrington. This was captured with the Olympus EM5 and 45mm 1.8 prime lens. Its not the best landscape photograph I have ever taken but I think its quite pleasing and I wouldn't have it at all, if I hadn't got the camera with me.

Afternoon sun on the South Downs

The second image is a sky scape taken on my way home from work. The dramatic clouds and light were crying out to be caught on camera. On this occasion the Olympus E-PL3 was in the car with nothing more than the standard kit lens and attached EVF (electronic viewfinder). An almost essential extra when in bright light.

20120925-P9251310.jpg

Once downloaded into Lightroom on the computer at home, I wondered how well this image would convert to black and white. Well here is that version using my favourite 'plug-in' for Lightroom - Silver Efex Pro.

Late afternoon sky on the south coast

Which one do I prefer? Well I'm not sure, they both have their merits, I think its down to personal choice. If I had to come off the fence then the 'black and white' version would win the day. All I do know is that had the little Olympus E-PL3 not been in the car, there wouldn't be a choice, as there wouldn't be a photograph to look at!

Olympus E-PL3 with 14-42 kit lens

The Olympus E-PL3 which started my love of the micro 4/3rds format. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment