Thursday 1 November 2012

South coast seafront

I am very fortunate to live and work close to the sea, so the opportunity to take some coastal shots when I have a few minutes to spare are most welcome. A few days ago I took some photos of Bognor Regis seafront, although on this occassion I mainly concentrated on the Pier. Like many in this country the pier is always in need of repair. The constant ravages of the salt water, wind, rain and even the sun, all take their toll as the seasons pass by. From a photographic point of view  they also make good black and white subjects.

When I have more time I will take some images of other piers along the South Coast. They are a relic of a bygone era, and whilst many still survive others have sadly been lost forever.

Here are a few shots all taken with the Olympus OMD EM5 and Panasonic 20mm f1.7 prime lens. On this occasion the mono conversion was carried out in Lightroom 4 and not in Silver Efex Pro 2. I have also set up a preset in Lightroom which allows me to quickly batch process a series of images into black and white, using my preferred settings. These are mainly, adding contrast, clarity and sharpening, as I always shoot in RAW.

As it's the end of October I suspect this may be the last time the 'Bouncy Castle' will be inflated this year.

Bognor Regis seafront



The rain was being blown in from the west....ready to inflict some more damage on the fabric of the pier.

Bognor Regis Pier

They really are extraordinary structures...............

Bognor Regis pier

.....and something has to hold them up.

Pier support

The caption for this last shot might be........
'Only survivors will be prosecuted!'

Only survivors will be prosecuted!

No comments:

Post a Comment