Saturday 3 August 2013

The Natural History Museum - without any nature!

In my last entry I wrote about the Genesis Exhibition by Sebastiao Salgado at the Natural History Museum in London, which as I have already said, was remarkable and well worth the visit. I have been to this museum on a number of occasions, although not for some years, but I have to say there are only so many times I can be impressed by dinosaur bones and to put it crudely, 'stuffed' animals. I love nature but taxidermy leaves me rather cold. However, apart from the Genesis exhibition, my visit was enhanced by the building itself and in particular, the way the sun light came through the glazed roof panels illuminating the interior architecture and the people as they moved around.

Never one to leave my camera at home I wanted to see if I could capture something of what I saw, as other people enjoyed the reason why most members of the public would come and visit this tourist attraction. So here are the results -


Window arches

These arches are just above the statue of Darwin. As I stood to compose the shot, there were a large number of people photographing Darwin and I just wonder how long I would have had to wait before someone took a similar picture to the one above. I just love the way the light was falling on to the carved columns of the arches.


Stairway

The museum was quite crowded so I had to wait a while for the staircase to be clear of visitors. My patience was I think rewarded.


Arches


These arches were above the cafe and I was attracted to the shaft of sun light as it lit up the columns from the roof lights above.

........and now for some people shots.

The images below were taken from the gallery above the main foyer. Packed with people it was difficult to isolate one individual. The bright light only lasted a few minutes as it threw shadows on the floor but I am pleased with the two images uncluttered by passers by.

Pointing
Pointing


Alone.jpg
Alone


.......and lastly the great man himself.

The statue of Charles Darwin, the author of the 'Origin of Species', 
(taken I hope, from the non tourist angle!)

Darwin.jpg


This is a reminder for me that there is so much to see everywhere I go - not just the obvious, as would have been the case here with the animals and other nature subjects etc, but alternative, even unexpected opportunities to add to my ever growing collection of monochrome photographs.



No comments:

Post a Comment