Wednesday 15 August 2012

First exhibition

Its sounds rather grand, it wasn't at all really, but on Saturday 11th August I staged my first and modest exhibition of photographs at the Bizarre Bazaar in the grounds of Fishbourne Church, near Chichester. Any profits (I should be so lucky) would be donated to The St Peter Project (A new church hall for Fishbourne and the wider community - www.stpeterproject.org). I gave a lot of thought to the images I wanted to include. I felt the work should have a broad appeal but also showcase my eclectic tastes. The only thing I did want to do was major on black and white, as this is my preferred style at the moment. The only two prints which were in colour were deliberately chosen as these directly related to Fishbourne Church, so were more likely to appeal to those attending the event.

Prior to the event I built a large stand or easel which would display eleven 20" x 16" framed prints, in landscape and portrait format. On the evening before I was still cuttings mounts and framing. I shouldn't have left it until the last minute but having only recently returned from a week's photography course at West Dean, time was limited.

As well as receiving a number of favourable comments,  I was delighted to sell five prints which was five times as many as I had expected. Its strange to think that people have now parted with their hard earned money to display my work on their wall at home.  As and when opportunities arise it has certainly given me the confidence to stage other exhibitions of my work.....particularly if the profits can go to a good cause. It has also made me realise that I need to press on with my own website which will incorporate this blog.

Below are the images I displayed. 


Firstly four landscapes.

Sand Waves on the Isle of Eigg
Nikon D90 10-24mm @ 10mm f11 6 seconds ISO 100
 

Sand waves on the Isle of Eigg



Ploughed Field - Fishbourne Meadows
Olympus E PL3 20mm f1.7 @ f10 1/200 ISO 200
Ploughed field
Sea Swirl on the Isle of Eigg
Nikon D90 16 - 85mm @ 28mm f8  1.6 seconds ISO 100
Swirling sea on the Isle of Eigg


Welsh track
Lumix LX3 12.8mm f5.6 1/800 ISO 100
Welsh track


Secondly a couple of people shots

Gardener at West Dean Gardens
Olympus EM5 450mm f1.8 at f10 1/400 ISO 200

West Dean Gardens


Candid portrait
Olympus EM5 45mm f1.8 at f1.8 1/160 ISO 400
Candid portrait


Thirdly a couple of motor sport shots

Lotus JPS 72 forming part of sculpture at Goodwood Festival of speed
Olympus E PL3 20mm f1.7 at f7.1 1/1600 ISO 200
Lotus JPS 72

Ferrari 250 GTO - Goodwood Revival
Nikon D90 70 - 300mm @ 300mm f10 1/640 ISO 640
Ferrari 250 GTO


........and finally three shots associated with Fishbourne Church

Fishbourne Church in the snow
Nikon D90 16 - 85mm @16mm f4 1/30 ISO 400
Fishbourne Church in the snow

Still life taken inside Fishbourne Church
Nikon D90 16 - 85mm @ 28mm f22 8 seconds ISO 200
Still life taken in Fishbourne Church

Stained glass window in Fishbourne Church
Nikon D90 16 - 85mm @ 72mm f5.6 1/160 ISO 400
Stained glass window


Now that I have included the exif data for each image, I realise that this selection has at least one or more photographs taken using every camera I have used in the past three years since my interest in photography really started. This was not deliberate and it does of course confirm that a good photograph can be taken with any camera. They are not great images but they give me pleasure as I hope they did when people visited my stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment