Friday 19 April 2013

London cityscapes

Since November of last year the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich, London has been staging a retrospective exhibition of work by Ansel Adams called 'From the Mountains to the Sea'. As it was due to finish this month I did not want to miss the opportunity to see original photographs by this inspirational artist. So a day trip to the Capital was planned which also gave me the chance to take in some of the sights of London and of course take a few photographs.

Before heading off to Greenwich I also visited another photographic exhibition at Somerset House called ' Landmark - The Fields of Photography'. From there I walked eastwards along The Embankment towards St Paul's Cathedral, The City of London and the Financial Sector. At Tower Bridge I used the Docklands Light Railway to Cutty Sark, the nearest station for The Maritime Museum. I very much enjoyed seeing areas of London which I had not visited before and here are a slection of images I took that day.

The Shard
A view of The Shard from The Millenium Bridge


St Pauls Cathedral
A mix of 'old and new' - St Pauls Cathedral and its reflection in the
contemporary buildings of One Change


Lloyds Building in London
The Lloyds Building - home of the Insurance Company LLoyds of London


Gherkin and Lloyds
The Lloyds Building frames another more recent icon in the City -
The Gherkin


The Gherkin
The Gherkin or as it is formally known as 30 St Mary Axe

I also wanted to try my hand at some abstract geometric compositions of the the modern office blocks which are now starting to dominate the London skyline.



Office blocks 1



Office blocks 3



Office blocks 2


........and finally an older couple walked hand in hand up the ramp leading to the Millennium Bridge. I assume they too were enjoying the sights and sounds of this remarkable city.

Hand in hand


No comments:

Post a Comment