Saturday 20 July 2013

Sherborne Abbey in Dorset

There is no question that I, like many others, am drawn to Cathedrals and Churches. Ecclesiastical buildings which can be quite magnificent both for their splendid architecture but also for their spiritual atmosphere; the peace and quiet, together with the light as it shines through stained glass windows. Carefully positioned artificial light also adds to the splendour of these wonderful places of worship which have stood for centuries. I will always be in awe as to just how these structures were ever built in the first place. Several generations will have been involved, so the craftsmen who laid the foundations and constructed the first walls, will not have lived to see the building finished.

These thoughts were ever present when I visited Sherborne Abbey in Dorset earlier this month. It was the first time my wife and I had been inside the Abbey and we were immediately struck by its beauty. By way of a brief history I shall simply quote from the home page of their website.

"Founded by St. Aldhelm in AD 705, the Abbey has developed from Saxon cathedral to the worshipping heart of the monastic community, and finally, to on of the most beautiful of England's parish churches. For many it is still the 'cathedral of Dorset', and our Benedictine heritage lives in in the daily offering of prayer and praise."

Whilst I had not planned our visit to be for photography purposes, I spent over an hour very happily taking a variety of images - and here are a selection.

All were shot with my Olympus OMD EM5 and Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 lens - it really is a great combination. I raised the ISO to 800 and shot hand held, as I did not have a tripod with me. I would like to revisit this Abbey, and given more time, carefully compose, expose and take more shots as there was so much to photograph.

Organ in Sherborne Abbey
 The Organ in the North Transcept originally installed in 1858 


Sherborne Abbey Nave
The Nave looking down towards the High Alter


Fan ceiling
Fan vaulting in the Nave


High Altar and Reredos Sherborne Abbey
The High Altar and Reredos in the North Choir


Through to the Choir
Archway in the North Aisle looking through in the Choir


This first entry has concentrated on some of the main features of Sherborne Abbey. My next post will highlight some of the lovely details to be found, seen and captured.

No comments:

Post a Comment