Monday 18 February 2013

Losing weight with the Olympus OMD EM5

A few weeks ago I made the decision not to invest in a full frame DSLR and associated lenses and to stick with my Olympus OMD (which I love) and various Olympus prime lenses or fast Panasonic zoom lenses.

I don't need to justify my decision but for a bit of fun I thought I would make one comparison  between the two systems - and that's one of weight. Many will argue that I am comparing apples with pears and I will be the first to agree that both sets of camera gear have their pros and cons. However the weight of any set up has to be taken into consideration if you intend carrying your equipment any distance or for long periods of time.

It's not very often that I need to use the kitchen scales(!) but out they came.... and now for the results -

Losing weight with the Olympus OMD EM5

The Olympus OMD EM5 with two part battery grip plus Panasonic 12 - 35 and 35 - 100 lenses with constant f2.8 aperture = 1,440g

....and for the full frame equivalent.

Canon 5D MKIII, with battery grip and 24 - 70 and 70 - 200 f2.8 L lenses = 3,555g

So the Canon system is very nearly 2.5x heavier, not to mention bulkier, and far more expensive.

Both sets of lenses cover the same focal length and  are weather sealed. Yes, I know the Canon set up will produce bigger files and therefore give better results, but for my needs and in real world use I'll save my back and my bank balance thank you! :o)



No comments:

Post a Comment