Monday 24 December 2012

The Cathedral City of Chichester

I am very fortunate to be able to call the ancient city of Chichester my home. Whilst our house is not in centre of the city, its not far from where I live, so its a place my family and I frequently visit. From a photographic point of view it has so much to offer but because it's on my doorstep its all too easy to take for granted the splendour of it's buildings, the Cathedral in particular.

I had a couple of hours spare about a week ago, and as it was reasonably dry and bright, I decided to walk around and take a few photographs. I concentrated my time on the Cathedral and in Priory Park which is still within the Roman City Walls but over to the North East corner. As well as taking some well known 'tourist views' I also took one or two more close up shots which also say something about the place.

When I came to post processing, I converted the images in Silver Efex Pro2 but thought it would be appropriate on this occasion to apply a slight sepia tone, which to me introduced a little warmth and softened the picture. All the shots were taken with Olympus OMD EM5.

As mentioned before Chichester has a wealth of buildings and subjects to photograph. Add in seasonal variations and I am all too aware that I have only scratched the surface, so I am sure there will more entries on Chichester in the future. In the meantime here is a selection of the images I took that day.

Chichester Cathedral from Canon Lane.
Chichester Cathedral from Canon Lane

Chichester Cathedral spire taken from Bishops Palace Garden which is to the west of the Cathedral
Chichester Cathedral from Bishops Palace Gardens


Bishops Palace Garden - a fine place to relax and do The Times crossword perhaps?
Relaxation


The imposing statue of St Richard which greets everyone as they walk up the shallow set of steps from West Street on their way to main west entrance of St Richard's Cathedral
The statue of St Richard


The beautiful arches of The Cloisters
The Cloisters of Chichester Cathedral


A bust of Queen Elizabeth II at the West Entrance to the Cathedral
Queen Elizabeth II


A bust of the Duke of Edinburgh also at the West Entrance
Duke of Edinburgh


Just one of the many attractive rows of houses in a side street near Priory Park
Chichester side street


Priory Park and The Guildhall
The Guildhall, Priory Park


A statue in Priory Park. Some think it is Moses, others Neptune, whilst it is also thought it could b a druid.
Statue in Priory Park


One final image of Chichester Cathedral
Chichester Cathedral


No comments:

Post a Comment